The first time I had watermelon in a salad was at a brewery in San Diego and it was an amazing flavor combination. The crisp and juicy texture of watermelon works so well in salads and provides a burst of flavor in each bite. Last week at work we had a giant box of fresh arugula leftover after a cooking class, so I didn’t hesitate to shove as much as I could in a bag to take home. As a result, this delicious salad was created. It has all the right textures, flavors and is a great way to welcome the upcoming warm summer nights.
Watermelon Chicken Chopped Salad
- A few generous handfuls of arugula or mixed greens
- 2-3 Tablespoons good quality olive oil (the dressing is very simple, so the oil’s taste will shine through)
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ avocado, diced
- ½ cup of cooked chicken (you can use leftovers, rotisserie chicken or grill it fresh- whatever works for you!)
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 cup seedless watermelon, diced
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Balsamic glaze (store bought or make your own)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix olive oil and white balsamic vinegar together. They won’t completely combine, but just give it a good whisk.
- Toss lettuce with dressing, salt and pepper.
- Pile lettuce on a plate and place toppings in a row on top of the lettuce or just throw everything all there!
- Drizzle balsamic glaze over your masterpiece.